Posts for tag: Periodontal Disease
How your dentists in Augusta, GA, can help you and your smile
Periodontal disease can sneak up on you. It is one of the main causes of tooth loss as you get older, and all you may notice is a little bit of bleeding when you brush and floss. It’s easy to ignore periodontal disease until it’s too late. Drs. Alan and Eliza Myers at Myers Family Dental in Augusta, GA, offer effective treatments for gum and periodontal disease.
The good news is, there are warning signs. Before you get periodontal disease, you will typically have gum disease, a condition which can be reversed because it only involves soft tissue. When you have gum disease, you may notice that your gums are:
- Irritated and red
- Swollen and puffy with loss of normal contours
- Painful, especially when you eat, brush, or floss
- Bleeding, especially when you brush and floss
If you are experiencing any of the signs and symptoms of gum disease, it’s time to take action to reverse the disease and make your smile healthy again. Make sure you start a program of excellent oral care, which should include:
- Brushing after meals and before bed
- Flossing at least once each day
- Visiting your dentist and dental hygienist regularly for dental exams and professional cleanings
If gum disease goes untreated, it can turn into periodontal disease, involving the destruction of bone, connective tissue, fibers, and ligaments which support your teeth and your smile. Once the hard tissues are also involved, you have periodontal disease, and you will experience signs and symptoms like these:
- Receding gums, making your teeth look longer due to exposed tooth roots
- Sensitive teeth, because of the increased amount of root exposure
- Spaces appearing between your teeth and a difference in your bite
- Your teeth feeling loose, especially when you eat
- Increased bleeding or drainage from your gums
- Chronic bad breath and a sour taste in your mouth
If you are experiencing any of the signs and symptoms of periodontal disease, it’s important to seek out the services of your dentist as soon as possible. Remember that periodontal disease cannot be cured. It can only be managed to keep it from getting worse, but you must act quickly and begin a program of regular professional dental care including exams, x-rays, and periodontal therapy cleaning appointments every three to four months.
You can save your smile if you have periodontal disease, but you must seek out the services of an expert, your dentist. To find out more about periodontal disease therapy, call Drs. Alan and Eliza Myers at Myers Family Dental in Augusta, GA, at (706) 738-7742 today!