Posts for tag: Oral Care Routine
Your oral hygiene habits play an important role in your oral health and help you avoid cavities, gum disease, and other issues. Your Augusta and Martinez GA dentists, Drs. Alan and Eliza Myers of Myers Family Dental, provide the dental care you need for a healthy smile. Talk to your Augusta Dentist today to learn more.
Why good oral hygiene is so important
Brushing and flossing reduce plaque in your mouth. The sticky substance coats your teeth with a bacterial film that can't be seen but can be felt. If you run your tongue over your teeth first thing in the morning, you'll probably notice that your teeth feel a little rough or furry due to the presence of plaque.
Plaque is particularly dangerous when you eat sugary foods or foods that contain carbohydrates that are converted to sugars, like pretzels, bread, pasta, and potato chips. The combination of plaque and sugar produces acids. These acids are strong enough to attack your tooth enamel and cause cavities.
Cavities aren't the only negative consequence of plaque. If you don't remove plaque, it soon turns into tartar, a hard, brown deposit that tends to form at the bottoms of teeth. Both plaque and tartar are factors in gum disease.
Fortunately, a good oral hygiene routine can lower your risk of cavities and gum disease. Protect your smile by following these recommendations by your Augusta Dentist:
- Brush Twice a Day: Brushing in the morning and evening is the best way to keep plaque under control.
- Brush for Two Minutes: The American Dental Association advises brushing for at least two minutes. If you don't brush long enough, plaque may remain on your teeth.
- Add Flossing to Your Oral Care Routine: Flossing is often overlooked, yet serves an important role in oral hygiene. Flossing, whether it's done with string floss, flossing picks, or waterpiks gets rid of plaque and food debris between teeth.
- Use Mouthwash: Ending your oral hygiene session with mouthwash offers extra protection for your teeth and gums. Anti-bacterial mouthwash kills bacteria while freshening your breath.
- Make Checkups a Priority: Your visits to the Augusta Dentist office include dental cleanings to remove plaque and tartar. Your dentist will also examine your teeth, gums, and mouth and recommend treatment if he or she notices any problems.
Keep your smile healthy with regular dental care. Call your dentists in Augusta and Martinez GA, Drs. Alan and Eliza Myers of Myers Family Dental, at (706) 738-7742 to schedule an appointment.