How dental crowns from your dentists in Augusta, GA, can remake your smile
For decades, dental crowns have commonly been used to strengthen and repair teeth that have become damaged or infected. Here at Myers Family Dental in Augusta, GA, your dentists, Drs. Alan and Eliza Myers, offer a wide range of restorative, cosmetic, and preventive dental care services to give you an outstanding smile. Read on to learn more!
What dental crowns can do for you
It’s easier than you might think to damage your teeth and your smile—tooth decay, periodontal disease, grinding, clenching, undergoing an injury/accident, or simply experiencing the normal aging process can all work against your smile. Fortunately, dental crowns can bring your smile back!
Consider these important benefits of dental crowns:
- They provide complete protection to damaged tooth structure by covering the entire visible surfaces of your teeth, above the gumline.
- They protect your teeth from severe biting forces by evenly spreading out the stress of chewing, thus preventing your teeth from breaking.
- They look just like natural teeth because the high-grade dental ceramic used in crowns reflects light and closely resembles tooth enamel.
- They resist stains because the high-grade dental ceramic used in crowns is stain-resistant.
Dental crowns come in a few different forms, each with their own unique advantages and specialties. Some of these include:
- Full porcelain is the go-to dental crown material to give you outstanding cosmetic beauty. Porcelain is color-matched to your existing teeth so that your new dental crown will be virtually identical to your natural teeth.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal, also known as a PFM crown, is an excellent choice to provide more strength. PFM crowns are often recommended for back teeth, where you need the increased strength for chewing.
- Full gold is also a popular choice for a strong crown, but it lacks the aesthetic appeal of porcelain, causing them to typically be placed on back teeth.
Need dental work? Give us a call
To learn more about the benefits of dental crowns, talk with the experts. Call your dentists, Drs. Alan and Eliza Myers of Myers Family Dental in Augusta, GA, today by dialing (706) 738-7742.